Sunday, September 21, 2008

Whoa... It's still here. I thought they may have deleted it because of inactivity. Hmm. O well.

So it is now the end of September... a few short months since my blog about the Rockies. Poor Rockies. Ah, but not poor BYU. You guys been watching them?

The Stormin' Mormons are now the #11 team in the land. I've been able to witness three of their victories in their 4-0 record to date. The first one was a bit boring, against Northern Iowa I think? It was closer than it needed to be (as we showed against UCLA), but a victory nonetheless.

Next came a big game in Seattle against the U of W. We dominated most of the game, but again way closer than it needed to be. Especially when everyone thinks that it came down to a poor call made by a referee. If you didn't see snippets of it on any sports show for that entire week, Washington's quarterback ran the ball in for a 4 or 5 yard touchdown to bring them within one point with about 2 seconds left in the game. All they needed was to hit the extra point and it would force overtime. Well, of course UW QB Jake Locker was excited for that reason and proceeded to hurl the ball into the air in celebration. Too bad NCAA rules (this one in particular has been the focus of the officials since the beginning of the season) prohibit "Throwing the ball high into the air." Thats the rule straight from the 2008 rulebook. Seriously. I looked it up. Anyhow, the ball had some good hangtime... 2-3 seconds, I could do the physics real quick... I'm gonna go with about 25-30 feet. The official flagged him for it and the penalty was to move the extra point back 15 yards. Big deal, the 20 yd chip shot turned into a 35 yd chip shot, something that even the worst of college kickers should be able to nail. Well... we blocked it. It was sweet. It was so sweet that our team got flagged for excessive celebration when they all ran out on the field. But it didn't matter because there were only two seconds left and they had to kick it to us. So we won. Cool. (See Video)

Then came UCLA... a game I was rather nervous about since they had beaten a ranked Tennessee team the week before (who actually has turned out to not really be very good). But that made the game all the more exciting. This was actually the third time we had played UCLA in the last year. Once during the regular season last year, then in a bowl game around Christmas time, and then now. There is also some drama between the teams over a QB that said he'd play at BYU, then after his mission decided to go to UCLA (and hasn't been completely healthy since) and also over a field goal that we blocked to win the bowl game, seen here. Well... This picture says it all. Yes, you read right, 59-0. That was good times. Highlights.

And then yesterday we took on the brave 'Pokes of Wyoming. The outcome was slightly more merciful, a 44-0 drubbing. I snapped this picture just before the game. Highlights.

So here we are, 4-0 with our next game against lowly Utah State. It'll probably be another bore of a blowout... which I'm fine with.

In other news... school is going well so far. I'm taking a statistics class that is already giving me nightmares. I don't know if I've ever understood so little at the beginning of a semester. I have an intro to Biology class which is a joke...but will fill the requirement. I have a Material Removal (or machining) class that is my favorite of all. So far we've been working on the metal lathes, and are in the process of creating our own hammers. I'm taking the second half of New Testament from the same professor that I took the first half from. Think Indiana Jones dressed as Mr. Rogers. Thats Professor Griggs. He's an egyptologist (as in every summer he goes to egypt to dig up dead people), ancient historian, and knows more languages than I knew existed. I also have a Statics class which is the branch of mechanics concerned with the analysis of loads (force, torque/moment) on physical systems in static equilibrium, that is, in a state where the relative positions of subsystems do not vary over time, or where components and structures are at rest. It's exciting. And thats about it.

And now I have spent way to long updating my blog. But at least it is updated. Amen.

3 comments:

La Familia Mariscal said...

Good to have you back, brother Bratley. Thanks for the BYU play-by-play. So exciting! I thought you dropped Statistics. I warned you. Statics. So far above my head. Amen?!?!

Unknown said...

Nice to have you back blogg'n. Bet they miss you tons in PA. Hope to see you in Dec. Tricia

The Weinert's said...

I was going to give you grief, but it looks like the other siblings already have. Statistics...fun...what kind of sick people wake up in the morning thinking, "I want to me a statistician"? (yes, that is a long word, and I did use Word to make sure it was spelled correctly). By the way, we just got back from Italy, standby for Celeste's renaissance-style blogging fresco.